Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our summer began by finding out that two of our three children are hearing impaired. WOW! I did think they were having trouble hearing but being told for so long it was because of fluid I never thought I would hear the news that the audiologist told us in May 2008. Let me start from the beginning with Price and Sophie. I had perfect pregnancies. All ultrasounds showed very healthy babies, they had 10 fingers and 10 toes when they were born. On the day I was leaving the hospital with my 2nd and 3rd child, I was told that they failed their heaing test and it was most probably due to fluid and that is very common. NEVER was I told this was a serious issue nor was a follow up test scheduled at that time for them to be retested. I thought I was going home with perfectly healthy babies. My pediatrician for Price never mentioned anything about Price needing to have a follow up exam for his hearing. I never thought about it again. When Price was 1 1/2 he was put into a daycare center and he started getting the very common colds children get. With these colds, he began getting ear infections. Also during this time I was starting to have thoughts that he wasn't hearing very well. After many months battling ear infections and many sleepless nights, Price was sent to an ENT for evaluation for tubes. At that visit I told the ENT that Price failed his infant screening, I thought he was having difficulty hearing, and that I thought it may be due to fluid. The ENT agreed and scheduled Price for tubes the next week. Price did have an OAE done that day and FAILED. The audiologist and ENT said it was probably due to fluid. There was never a follow hearing exam done. Since I was told his hearing difficulty was due to fluid, I again put it in the back of my mind. During this same time my daughter, Sophie was now 4 months old. She also was having recurrent ear infections and had tubes implanted one month after Price. She also had an OAE at her tube consult but again they said it was fluid causing the test to come out like it did. So again thought all was going to be ok!!!!

No comments: