Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I am LOVING this ride!

I wish I could tell you how much I am now so interested in the world of Hearing Impaired and/or Hard of Hearing. I still do not have all of the correct lingo and terminology down pact but this is all fasinating me. Everyday I read and learn more and more on what is out there for my children that I never even new existed. Cochlear Implants??? WOW!!!! Digital Hearing Aids that are bluetooth compatible???? Oh my gosh!!!! This is all so interesting to me! And I am loving it all. Yes my children have a handicap but will I let it stop them? NO WAY!!!! I may/will push them harder than I would if they could hear on a normal level without their aids. Price has been fitted and currently wearing Seimens Explorers, of course one is purle and one is gold for LSU!!!! How awesome is that! Sophie has been fitted and is currently aided with Oticon, Personics. And her's are HOT PINK!!! TOO CUTE!!! They both are doing great with them. We have never really had a problem with them not wanting them on. I think they both realized very quickly the difference with and without them. I am so proud of both of them. They suprise me every day. Andrew has also accepted this new way of life VERY WELL. Andrew puts them on the kids, takes them off. If one is squelling Andrew will go and fix whose ever it is. Andrew works well with both Price and Sophie during therapy time. Or shall I say "Learning to Listen Time." Sophie has began saying all kind of words and sounds. We have also started incorperating a little of "Baby Signs" with her. WOW, she is moving fast! She is ready communicate. Price sees a Speech Therapist, Stacy, each week and Sophie works with an AudioVerbal Therapist each week. Price will begin speech thru the Livingston Parish School System in a couple of weeks. Although we incorperate AVT at home with both Price and Sophie.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your strength is absolutely amazing! I'm a good friend and client of Molly's and I got to meet Price last time I was there. He is so handsome!! You have beautiful kids! You are so blessed.

Anonymous said...

Mikki - You and your family are an inspiration to all! These 3 children are awesome and so are you! I love hearing Kaine & Jessica's stories of the kids and what they did new or learned new this week!
Keep it up and let others help you along the way!
Love ~ Susan & Ralph

Laurie said...

You sound a lot like my mother. . . she researched everything she could find when she and dad discovered my hearing loss in the late 1950's. Your children are very blessed to have a such a wonderful and supportive family.

Hopefully cochlear implants will be bluetooth compatible someday. I know there is "space" in my internal processor for that someday in the future. . . whenever that may be.

Nice to meet you and your kids!

Laurie in TN