Monday, August 18, 2008

Emotional Ups and Downs

As a mother I try to stay positive about most issues that arise. But sometimes they get the best of me and I end up angry and agitated. Referring back to the diagnosis of my children having hearing problems I was VERY upset, especially finding out about my son, Price. I was sad for him. I was sad knowing that he would have to do double the work to get where he needs to go, example school. I was so worried that children would make fun of him or that he was going to have a speech problem and everyone would know he had a hearing problem. All of these feelings rushed over me in seconds of finding out it was HOH. When I found out about Sophie, even though hers was worse of a diagnosis, I was not upset that much. I was almost happy to know that they, Sophie and Price, would have someone very close to them to relate to and they could lean on each other for support. Yes, I was very sad that my beautiful daughter could not hear me telling her that I LOVED HER the 1 million times I probably said it to her but seeing the smile on her face every day I know she felt it. When they got their hearing aids, it was one of the happiest days for me because I knew they were finally getting what they needed. Especially Sophie! She was finally getting sound into those little tiny ears! She was very scared at first. I think the sound was so new to her that it frightened her a little. Each day we had to spend 10-15 min. getting Sophie adjusted to the sound. But once she settled into the sound she loved it. Knowing that there is so much out there for my children makes this so much easier for a parent. Everyone from our current audiologists to the cochlear implant surgeon has been so wonderful to us. But one person in particular has been a blessing, her name is Donna Embree. She works for the LA School for the Deaf and is apart of the Parent Pupil Program. She has given me and my family so much help. Any questions I have she has been the 1st person I call. I thank Jesus that there are people out there that care so much to give their time to other individuals to help them in a time of need. If it wasn't for the wonderful people I have met in the past 3 months I am sure I would not have the same feelings as I do now. But the day I found out about their hearing problems was the first day I began researching. I don't think one day has past that I didn't look up something pertaining to hearing loss. But you know what, I have no time to waist. My children fell through the cracks somehow for early diagnosis, so it is my job as a parent to get them where they need to be. But let me tell you, I love it! My mission in life is my family! And doing all I can to better their wellbeing is my number one mission. But one thing I can say, is yes God blessed my children with an impairment but it surely wasn't one that He meant to keep them down. My children are very outgoing! It does not slow them down at all. Our God is an awesome God! I thank Him every day for my children and all that comes with them.

5 comments:

VBnBama said...

Beautiful kids, I have two myself w/cochlear implants. Yes, they are certainly blessings.

tammy said...

Hi, I just found your blog today through Deaf Village. Reading this post brought back many recent memories of when we found out Aiden was deaf, although we were very lucky that it was diagnosed by 6 weeks. I can't imagine all you've been going through. This is definitely a great journey, and like you, I wouldn't change anything about Aiden for the world!

leah said...

I can't imagine how frustrating it is to have had your little guys fall through the cracks! Our pediatrician was also convinced it was "just fluid," but luckily the audiologist at our local hospital referred us on for more testing. Nolan's only moderate rising to mild, but I am ever grateful that the local audi advocated for him!

Unknown said...

We just found out in June that our daughter has a profound hearing loss. I have two older boys as well and I can't imagine all you have been through. I am anxious to read about your journey!

renae said...

Mikki:
I am so very proud of you and your great attitude re: this situation. Molly sent me your blog but never told me about the diagnosis. Don't beat yourself up another minute for not seeing the signs....I know you've been a loving mother and your children received that love whether they could hear or not. You gave them what they needed the most! My daughter and sister are both speech pathologists so I'm very familiar with the cochlear implants and the wonderful things that can be done today for the hearing impaired. God has given you 3 beautiful children! What a blessing!